Thursday, March 1, 2012

Inspiration can be so random sometimes.

Case in point: I had mentioned yesterday the idea of Slow Food UW starting their own food cart. I had read a post on Facebook from the Vendy Awards that had a link to this story about food truck lobbying in Philadelphia and it mentions this guy, Andrew Gerson, who's spearheading this movement. What struck me about the guy wasn't his activism, but where he went to school and the title of his master's thesis.He went to the University of Gastronomic Sciences in Turin, Italy. Not a gastronomic sciences department at some university, an entire fucking university!!!! God, I love the Italians! And the title of his thesis? "Food Trucks Can be Utilized to Promote Sustainable Agriculture in Urban Environments." I so wish I could find this thesis and read it! Maybe I should write this guy. Anyway, the title makes so much sense to me. What better way is there, (besides farmer's markets) to promote local, sustainable foodstuffs at the ground level than a food cart? I haven't had a chance to talk much with the Slow Food UW kids yet. Perhaps I should pass this idea on to them when I do.

I do wonder, though, is this an idea worth trying? Besides the obvious learning curve, start up costs, licensing, etc., what could keep this from working?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jay, the University in Turin that you mention is affiliated with Slow Food International. Turin is where Slow Food holds its international Terra Madre conference every 2 years. It would be great if the UW group started a truck. You should definitely chek out their Wednesday cafe lunches or Monday night dinners if you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do want to check out Slow Food UW. Once I get my schedule at the dairy figured out, I'll see if I have any extra time to put into it.

    ReplyDelete