Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Why I'm not a "foodie".

I had said to folks on Facebook that my next post was going to be about pizza.

I lied.

I thought it wold be prudent to explain why I started this blog. As I have said in the past, I am notorious for starting blogs out of anger, only to have them fade into the ether along with whatever it was that made me angry in the first place. This blog is different. Food is my passion, my first and only true love. I was a picky eater as a kid. So, after a career in the military cured me of turning my nose up to just about everything, I made up for lost time by eating anything that was stupid or dead enough to get anywhere near my mouth. Food is more than just utilitarian for me, as it is for many people in the world. Food is one of the foundations of culture. One of the clearest windows into any given society is its foodways...and I have come to appreciate that at a higher level. So much so, in fact, that studying food and foodways is what I want to do for a living, which is why I am studying anthropology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. 

So, I started a blog about food so that I could write about my favorite subject.

But, I don't consider myself to be a foodie.

At one point, I identified with that label. My friends and I have shared some extraordinary meals together, eaten at great restaurants, cooked with the best and freshest of ingredients, pontificated upon what makes great food and drink "great", and have argued endlessly about terms like "authentic" and "artisanal". Despite this, I'm still not a foodie.

There is one term that I associate most with the foodie movement that describes neither me, nor my food-loving friends: pretension.

I can ramble on endlessly about my dream to someday eat at the French Laundry just as easily as I can defend, with every fiber of my being, my pick for best hot dog in Chicago. I don't turn my nose up to much of anything these days. Now, don't mistaken this for going soft on what I consider to be mediocre or even bad food. I'll rip a restaurant or a "latest food trend" a new asshole if I think it sucks. But, when I say that something is awful, it is never due to me disliking a particular type of food and/or preparation. There are a few foods I don't like, such as beets. But I won't slag on a place just because I tried a beet dish I was told I might like and end up hating it. (Don't laugh, I know people who have done this.) I usually dislike a restaurant if I think they're trying too hard to be something they're not, or if they specialize in a particular food item I love and half-ass it.

One other thing I'll mention here is the idea of the "complete experience". I recently visited a barbeque joint just outside of Madison called Porktropolis. I had heard about it from a friend and decided to try it. Before I left to pick up said friend for lunch, I looked up some reviews about the restaurant. Several of the reviews bitched endlessly about the "decor" and the "shabbiness" of the place...and said NOTHING about the food! I think this is what separates me from the foodie mindset: they want the complete experience. A foodie wants every aspect of their dining experience to be just right, otherwise it's not worthy of their time or money. I am all about the food. The barbeque we had for lunch that day was awesome! The restaurant was a little shabby. But the food was so good, I would have eaten my lunch on a folding card table with milk crates for chairs!

In short, I'm going to leave the foodie label behind. Those folks can whine incessantly about rude waiters and sub-par restaurant amenities. I just want to eat.

That is why I am an eater, and not a foodie. And that is why this blog exists: to discuss food in all of its wondrous forms.

2 comments:

  1. I have very similar viewpoints. I'm not a traditional "foodie", but don't fall into the "eater" category either. I think I'm somewhere in-between with a fair dosing of "cook" (not "chef" - there's a difference).

    One of the highest services you can perform as a human being is to bring genuine pleasure into the life of another human being. Food is a mechanism for this that pierces nearly every social barrier that can come up during interaction between people. Language, age, race, culture, wealth, sex, orientation, often religion, and often health can all by bypassed with a platefull of tasty food. I say nearly every social barrier, as a kosher Jew or strict Muslim will never know the joy that is a perfect pulled pork sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear, hear. I like your take on food so far. Looking forward to a long and happy tenure!

    ReplyDelete